[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 16 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:22 am
Statistics
We have 54 registered users
The newest registered user is kaylmarn

Our users have posted a total of 1892 messages in 473 subjects
AFFILIATES

Listed At:
RPGCollection RPG-Directory Seductive Supernatural Shadowplay redcarpet&&rebellion. Blank Pages The GLITTER Web Directory
Affiliates:
Shelpey Alley Bittersweet Forever Nuages du Monde GATHERING SOULS HL2 The Hammel Institute Souls on Fire Mystical Realms Role Playing Chat * Action * Fantasy * Historical Fiction * Horror * Sci Fi * Steampunk * Western Bonsoir

Pub Lunch

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pub Lunch

Post by Alex Lance on Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:29 am

A day off was exactly what Alex needed right now. Just one day where he could be particularly lazy and not have to worry about anything, though it had to be said that his sheriff job was a hell of a lot easier than his head of security role back at Hadley had been. Out here, he didn't have to worry about half the things that bothered him back at the institute, and even if there was a murderer on the island, nothing had happened in so long and there was so little going on with the investigation that he was happy enough to think whoever had done it was long gone by now. That might not be so good for the victim's family, but at least the rest of the residents were safe.

His biggest worry these days were the dogs. Not just Tyr and Freyja, but Bandit too. Theo...wasn't coming back, that much was obvious by now, which left Alex with a sheepdog to handle as well as the Alsatian and the always energetic Husky he'd brought out here with him. For a time, he'd had Bjorgen's two Dobermans to deal with as well, but now the doctor was back, they'd gone home, thankfully. Five large dogs had been a bit much for him, three was hard enough. Today though, Quinn had them all, for now at least. He was on a break, walking towards the only bar on the island.

It wasn't a long walk out to it, but it was at least a stress free one. There had been a lot of stress at times out here, none more so than when one of his officers, even if he had no say at all in who was hired, shot an innocent kid. The victim wasn't even a troublemaker, Alex had read her file back at Hadley, she was harmless! Thankfully, June wasn't his problem anymore. Stepping into the tavern, he made his way up to the bar and ordered some food, before heading for a table and settling down with a cold pint. This was the best way to spend a quiet afternoon really.
Alex Lance

Reward Points : 70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pub Lunch

Post by Kohaku Honda on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:16 pm

The only thing Kohaku hated about teaching, as weird as it sounded, was summer. He wanted to teach. He wanted to publicly humiliate bullies. He wanted to make differences in the lives of misunderstood teenagers. He literally had nothing to do besides play piano, perform daily functions like eating and brushing his teeth, explore the island, pine for a hamster that he couldn't afford, and bother people. When he met Ace, he was expecting to get yelled at. They were likely to say: 'Hey, asshole! Stop scaring the seagulls! Weird mo-fo in his dinosaur costume...'

Kohaku decided to leave his dinosaur costume on top of the boxes he hadn't fully unpacked yet due to procrastination and did some more exploring. He knew the island pretty much by heart now, and he accomplished this by walking- if he rode his bike, it would kill too much time and then he'd have nothing to do again. He was hungry... and wasn't feeling the diner. As he walked down the streets of downtown, he reminded himself that he didn't have much money to spend- he wasn't working yet, and had to rely on savings. But impulsivity was tricky- Kohaku was a master at spending money he didn't have... thanks, Bipolar Disorder.

All the same, Kohaku decided to hit the bar- he hadn't been there yet because of his own insecurities of being a lightweight, but perhaps he would meet someone there to make his time in summer-prison less boring. At the same time, he could grab some lunch.

Kohaku walked through the door, asked for a beer and looked around for somewhere to sit. He saw that a tall guy at a table was sitting by himself, and without giving it thought if the man wanted to be alone, walked over to him.

"Hey there!" He chimed, cheerfulness radiating from his voice. "Mind if I sit here?"

Kohaku said this in a voice comparable to if he was asking to sit at a table in a middle school cafeteria, but it wasn't really in his nature to be mature. He didn't wait for the other man to reply and sat down anyway.

"So what brings you here?" Kohaku asked casually, trying to dig up a conversation. "I came to Green Ridge a few weeks ago and I'm dead bored. I can't actually start working until the fall."

He held out his hand while resting the elbow on the table for the man to shake, while his voice conveyed a sort of bright welcome.

"Kohaku Honda. I'm not a car."
Kohaku Honda

Reward Points : 80

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Lance on Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:07 pm

As it turned out, the food here was pretty good; much better than Alex was expecting. The menu had been pretty standard pub stuff, but the chilli he'd ordered turned out to be pretty good, not at all the cold, greasy crap he'd been expecting. He was almost disappointed really, but then, maybe this was just the stuff they trotted out to newcomers. Still, it was pretty delicious, he'd have to come back sometime, maybe even with Quinn, and see if this was normal. That, and it would be a great excuse to just get horribly drunk, which was always a laugh, if a little irresponsible for a man in his position. Still, who was going to arrest the sheriff?

As he paused to take a swig of his pint, another man appeared at the table. A brief frown crossed his face, though it soon faded. What harm was a little company going to do? Whoever this guy was, he seemed cheery enough, which was always nice. "Sure." he replied with a shrug as the newcomer enquired about a seat, though he had a feeling it wouldn't really have mattered how he'd responded to that one. "I'm the sheriff." he replied with a shrug to the next question. "Day off, I've not got the dogs today, thought I'd unwind." he added with a small shrug. "How come you can't start work?" he added, wondering just what kind of a job would have to wait that long. Wasn't the school here year round like it had been at Hadley?

"Alex lance. I'm not a cavalryman." he replied with a grin, reaching out to shake the other man's hand. "Anyone ever tell you you're a bit weird?" he added, still grinning. Everyone was a little odd out on this island, especially the ex Hadley staff. How could they not be? Given what they'd done before they came here, and what at least some of them were still doing, they couldn't exactly be the most normal of people. No-one normal would want to move to a tiny island like this either, he wouldn't be at all surprised if they ended up completely cut off once the winter hit hard, not that he had a clue about the weather in Oregon.
Alex Lance

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kohaku Honda on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:45 pm

Truthfully, Kohaku hadn't seen the short-lived grimace in the other man. For one, he wasn't very good at pointing out detail- he took things as one big, convivial picture to be observed at once. For another, he wasn't the best at picking up when people didn't like him, especially it was only for a second or two. Kohaku had a sort of optimism that was tight-rope walking with falling into stupidity. If someone didn't like him, he wouldn't know until it was said inches away from his face in an angry voice while they shook his shoulders violently. After Kohaku was sure he was hated by said person, it wouldn't bother him. They could go fuck themselves. Kohaku was a loyal friend, but if he was made an enemy of... he had a hobby of making their lives miserable. Not in the manipulative, snide, lying and gossiping way- in the thousand-magnum-condoms-blown-up-in-their-room way. If he was someone's friend, he'd give their life color and pizzaz. If he was their enemy, he'd mess with them and poke fun at them until the day he moved away or died. It was a win-win situation for him.

So, instead, Kohaku only saw that the man didn't seem to mind a little company. Although, it wasn't as if Kohaku was terrified of rejection- he had a right to say no. And Kohaku had enough self-esteem to be able to shrug it off and find someone else to talk to.

He sat down at the man's approval, taking a gulp of beer... which was quickly choked on when he told him his profession. The sheriff?! Kohaku swallowed the alcohol quickly before he spit it out and started to cough uncontrollably. As he held his hand to his mouth, he realized that if he made an enemy out of him, he probably wouldn't make it out of this bar alive. Or without being behind bars. (The second sounding more believable than the first, but both weren't entirely out of the question.)

"S-Sorry-" Kohaku stuttered as he coughed, which was a change for him. He was almost never anxious, but apparently this was one of those situations.

He then laughed, trying to bring his breathing and coughing down. "Ha! Sorry about that. It's usually not very easy to scare me shitless like that. Although, if you'd made a guessing game out of telling me your profession, I would have said police- you look like you could do some damage if you needed to. I exercise a lot because of mania, so I have all sorts of energy bottled up in me all the time, and I tried just about every sport and martial art Manhattan had to offer. But I'd get destroyed if I tried to pick a bone with you. Seriously- I'll try not to make to make an enemy out of you. But I can't make any promises- I'm an annoying son of a bitch. Hope you're ready."

Kohaku grinned maniacally as he took another swig of beer.

"You have dogs?" He asked as he swallowed properly this time. "That's cool- are they police hounds? Or are they just your dogs? What breeds? How many? How often are your off-days? What do you do-"

Kohaku stopped himself- he didn't want to make the guy angry, especially not so soon. But he just couldn't help it- remember the picture thing? Whenever he met a person, he wanted to know them immediately and all at once. He couldn't control the number of questions he asked.

He couldn't help sighing as he was reminded of his nonexistent-for-now job. "I was hired to teach at Drayton Academy this fall. But school doesn't open until September 5th. For now, my life is limited to running, pacing, procrastinating unpacking boxes, playing piano and pining for a hamster that I can't afford. Oh, and eating too. Can't forget about that. But yeah- my life right now is repetitive and boring and I hate it. Why can't September be here, like, tomorrow?" Kohaku stretched his arms out across the table to convey his desperation as he complained childishly.

He happily shook the other man's hand, and now knew his name. Alex Lance. Even his name sounded badass.

"Yeah, you didn't strike me as a policeman on a horse. Or a bike. What the hell do police officers on bikes say when they have to arrest people? 'Alright, get in the basket!'" He laughed. "I don't know. Every time I meet someone, I just have to get that out of the way because of my last name. I mean, you never know. I could be one of those secret Honda-transformers. But the real reason is because one of the only reasons I was made fun of in school was because of dumb kids. 'Your last name's Honda. Are you a car? Har-dee-har-har...'" Kohaku attempted to speak in the dumbest voice he could.

"I've heard that same joke all my life. So, I like to just get that off the table immediately. 'Oh, he's not a car? Okay- check. He's not a car.' Sometimes people need reminders."

Kohaku couldn't help but laugh uncontrollably when Alex called him weird.

"I think I've learned all the synonyms for 'weird' over the years that I've met people. Everyone words it differently- odd, bizarre, eccentric, outlandish, peculiar, abnormal... different... hm... I think that's all I know. But I've been called them all! You caught on a little late."

Kohaku smiled again as he took another sip of beer. He could get used to this- meeting new people. Why didn't he do this before?! It beat pacing.
Kohaku Honda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex Lance on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:45 pm

Alex couldn't help laughing at the man's reaction to his job. He wasn't expecting quite that much of a reaction over it, people didn't usually choke when they found out he was the sheriff, but that didn't make it any less funny. "You alright?" he asked as Kohaku stuttered, leaning over to pat the man on the back a couple of times, not too hard, he hoped. As the laughter started though, he sat back down, shaking his head. "I suppose I could, but I'm harmless really. usually. To most people." he replied, still grinning. Mania; that meant the guy was bipolar, and they were letting him teach? That was...different, he supposed, but then, what on this island actually made sense these days?

Laughing at the stream of questions, he took another sip of his drink. "three. Tyr's the police dog, he's a fucking great alsatian, usually stops people just by growling. Only had to let him off the leash once." he began, not planning on elaborating much about that one. That was old Hadley, an incident best left forgotten, and not one that would ever be repeated. "there's also Freyja, she's a husky, and Bandit, he's an Australian Cattle Dog. They're pets, and they're bloody hard work sometimes. Three huge dogs isn't easy." he continued. There had been five, for a while, but with Doctor Bjorgen back on the island he didn't have to look after the two dobermans anymore, thankfully. Five was really too much for him and Quinn to manage for long.

"Ouch, really? The school at the old Hadley institute was year round, I'm surprised it isn't the same here." he continued as the man spoke about work. year round school on the island would keep the kids out of trouble, even if it would end up being mind numbingly boring for him and his...well, they weren't really guards anymore, they were cops if anything. It was still weird to think like that, he almost missed the old job back in New York. There had always been something to do there, not like here. Here, he was lucky if he got to break something up once a month, and though he wouldn't admit it, he was a little worried about losing his edge.

"You're a fucking nutter." he continued as the man spoke again, explaining how much he was called weird. None of it was a surprise, weird wasn't a strong enough word for someone like this, but at least he was amusing. Sitting around talking to him was much better than thinking about Summers, or the murderer (Or if they were one and the same, which wouldn't surprise him), nor any of the hundred other small, annoying and occasionally depressing things he had to think about these days. Sheriff might mean less real work than head of facility security, but if anything, there was even more paperwork.
Alex Lance

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kohaku Honda on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:11 am

As Kohaku was in the process of choking, he realized how ridiculous this was. Not that he actually cared whether or not he looked ridiculous, but in this situation he did... which was a feeling even more uncommon than anxiety, and he felt both in the same moment. It was really uncomfortable for the boisterous kamikaze- it was like he suddenly tried on a thong that was too small for him, or what it would be if he were a member of opposite gender. When he thought of that, he started laughing, and in the same moment Alex patted him on the back rather hard. He gave a few more coughs before he tried to say:

"I'm oka-" Which was followed by more coughing.

When Kohaku finally composed himself, he gave a lighthearted laugh to Alex's next words. "Most people, eh? Who were the less fortunate? And how much training do you actually have? Are you so beast that could take on a wild animal? My Earth science teacher in high school wrestled a bear. Well, when he was younger, anyway. While I was day dreaming and giving completely batshit answers to his questions, he was old- like, maybe late 50's to early 60's. I barely passed his class- then again, I barely passed all of the classes I took until I finally buckled down and started studying so that I wouldn't fail out of community college, and that turned out well. Went from a state university to Columbia for grad school, and if I was still the same student I was when I was in high school, I would have crapped myself and then worked full time for the rest of my life- not one after the other, obviously. That'd be pretty gross. But yeah, I got my shit together- it just took me longer than my brother. His name is Yuto and he's my polar opposite- we're fraternal twins. When we were kids, jackasses from our middle school used to make fun of our glaringly Japanese names. I discovered from going to junior high that my name sounds kind of like 'hock-a-loogie' and Yuto was always addressed as 'You toe!'... yeah, middle schoolers annoy me. High schoolers are much more mature- that's why I teach high school."

Kohaku was fully aware that he was rambling for a considerable amount of time- he hoped Alex wouldn't mind. Or send him to jail. Or kill him. He had the ability to do all three. Alex laughed when Kohaku asked so many questions, and he breathed a small sigh of relief once he heard the other man laugh.

"Three dogs? Wow- you must be really responsible. When I was younger, I was the reason for my family's pet cemetery in the backyard- two of my cats were hit by cars. When I put my leopard gecko's by the windowsill to let them have some sunlight, they were charred. Literally, black and crispy. I had two guinea pigs too- I took the first one to the vet, then I forgot he was in the car, so he froze to death over night. The other one froze to death too when I put it outside. It was fucking spring and there was a nice breeze, but apparently guinea pigs are really sensitive to wind chill because normally they'd burrow into the ground if it weren't for humans putting them in cages. When we were eleven, Yuto wanted to buy a kitten- a sweet, pretty little calico. He named her and everything. Then when we go to the register, the guy was like, 'Have you owned cats before?' and I was like 'Yeah! They both got hit by cars!' and they told us they couldn't sell him the cat. Yuto wouldn't talk to me for weeks." He laughed, then audibly groaned.

"I wish it was year-round! What's the Hadley Institute?"

Kohaku wondered briefly about what it could possibly be, (A research facility? Maybe a mental hospital?) and started almost hysterically laughing when Alex called him a nutter.

"YES!" Kohaku pumped a fist high in the air. "I haven't heard that one yet! You just made my year. That's a new one! Gotta love originality. If we were all the same mundane robots, this world would be a very boring place and I hate being bored. It drives me up a fucking wall. If that really happened, I'd move to Mars and die eventually from lack of oxygen. But at least I'd be entertained. Conformity is for losers. Don't ever subscribe to it."

Kohaku smiled as he took another swig, knowing that everything he said previously would solidify Alex's view. 'Good.'
Kohaku Honda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum